The Wildlife and Nature Protection Society (WNPS) was established in 1894 as a game protection society and evolved over the years to become a wildlife and nature conservation society by the 1970s. For much of this period, the society was the only civil organization promoting fauna and flora protection, and was associated very closely with the enactment of Sri Lanka’s wildlife protection legislation. It continues to maintain close links with the Departments of Wildlife Conservation and Forests. Its primary role now is as a policy advocate and environmental educator. It publishes two bi-annual journals and maintains three park lodges for its members.